9.29.2007

Bruce's First Sprint Triathlon

Gosh... I thought I had already done this post.

My first sprint triathlon is complete. Actually, it went almost exactly as I figured it would. Which is to say that it went MUCH better than Maggie thought it would. I guess I should be happy that she was very surprised at how well I did, but on the other hand, she obviously thought I was a bigger slob than I really am.

The triathlon was Nathan's Tempe Triathlon (or something like that). It's formerly known as the Timex Tempe Triathlon, but Nathan's took over sponsorship.

It was held in... are you ready? TEMPE, AZ. The swim portion was (as usual) in Tempe Town Lake, which means it is an open-water swim. The water was perfect, but 664 guys took off at the same time. It was a zoo. I made the swim about right where I figured I would, which was 750 meters in 19 minutes.

The bike was easy, and I went too easy because I was afraid of being too tired for the run. I averaged 20.7 MPH over the 12 mile bike ride. This was faster than average for the men, but not where I would have wanted it to be. I didn't have a speedometer or HRM with me, so I really didn't know how fast I was going.

The run was the hardest part, of course. I only ran once to prepare for the 5K, but it's ONLY 5K, right? I ran it in 27:16 (just over 9 minutes miles). So, I feel like I did well, since it was my first triathlon, and I really didn't train much for it. I have signed up for a longer sprint tri (Soma Quarterman) on October 28th. But work is keeping me from doing ANY training now, so I am not sure if I will be able to do that triathlon. Besides, it's really hard for both Maggie and I to train together now that the sun is coming up so late in the morning (meaning we can't get up before the kids wake up and get the workout in before school/work).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, it sounds like you did very well.

Donna

Bruce Penman said...

Thanks, Donna. I can do much better, and I will next time. But really, I can't complain at all. It was a very rewarding experience, and I owe it all to Maggie (even though her training schedule doesn't allow for me to properly prepare for our competition). Yes, Maggie is my competition!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job Bruce! That is impressive, even if you feel there is room for improvement.

maggie said...

so do you let your husband win- or do you crush him? Hmmmm

Bruce Penman said...

Whatever, Maggie.

If you can crush me, you'd better hurry up and do it. CUZ THE BRUCE TRAIN IS COMIN' TO A TRIATHLON NEAR YOU!!!