Maggie tricked me tonight! I thought we were doing a "practice" swim at Tempe Town Lake in preparation for the triathlon this coming Sunday. As we were getting ready to leave for the lake, Maggie says, "Hey, don't forget your running shoes."
I asked her why I needed my running shoes for a practice swim. That's when I found out I was doing an actual race this evening. Nice. Well, it's probably good that I got ONE practice run on the books before the race on Sunday.
It was really crazy. Jen was there, helping with Cate. Caroline & Sara were also there (also helping with Cate). The weather was nuts. While we were doing a little warm up run a short squall came in. It was a short downpour with some of the BIGGEST raindrops I have ever seen! But by the time the race started, the rain and wind had stopped.
We got into the water, swam back and forth a little, and then started the race. The swim was 750 meters. I started kind of with the main pack, while Maggie waited for all the fighting, kicking, scratching, dunking, pulling and slapping stopped.
About 1/3 of the way into the race I really started struggling to get air. I guess I went out harder than I should have, even though I felt like I was really going easy. We'll have to see how I do on Sunday, because I DID NOT like this part of the race at all. I thought I might have to stop altogether, but I just kept moving, just like Maggie would do!
I started feeling better with about 250 meters to go, but still just did breast stroke about 90% of the time. My time reflected that, too.
The run was better, even though I have not done ANY running, but then it is easier to catch your breath while running, than it is while swimming.
All in all, it was good. I have a better picture of how I should do on Sunday.
I just wonder if I would have done this evening's race if Maggie had told me ahead of time that I was going to be doing an actual race!!! My times will be on the internet, for all to see. No laughing, please.
2 comments:
Great job hon! You ARE one of those people who doesn't really need to train and does very well. You're ready for Sunday.
Everyone feels the way you felt during the swim! You did great!
Bruce - I am very impressed! Congrats to both of you for taking on such a challenge over and over again! Penmans are not quitters!
How did Sunday go?
Post a Comment