10.28.2007

Results Sunday

Okay, so it didn't go EXACTLY as planned... But I was close, (on most of it).

First of all, I'd like to say that training for a triathlon is a very important part of the triathlon experience. It helps to prepare your body for the rigors of the event. It helps you to go faster. So, needless to say, I was slow and unprepared.

Swim Prediction: 00:28
Actual Result: 00:28

T1 Prediction: 00:02
Actual Result: 00:03

Bike Prediction: 01:25
Bike Result: 01:28

T2 Prediction: 00:02
T2 Prediction: 00:02

Run Prediction: 01:04
Run Result: 01:13

Total Prediction: 03:01
Actual Total: 03:14

So, I was off by 13 minutes, 9 of which happened in the run.

Maggie only beat me by 11 minutes! I had her down at a total of 02:51 and she did in in 03:03. Way to go Maggie!

For what it is worth, I cruised in the swim, cruised on the bike, and completely came apart on the run. I basically walked about a mile's worth. I had to walk twice per mile, and by the end I was limping badly and had to bite my lip to run into the finish (male pride). I really blew it by not training at all, but you know what? I finished it anyway.

I think the most difficult thing is going to be learning how to walk again. Oh, and about a mile from the finish a 62 year old runner passed me and say (rather gruffly), "Get Going Kid!!!" I wanted to get a doctor's note to show him, but there wasn't time. He was gone too quickly.

Post-race, I am limping and can barely walk at all, and Maggie is ready to go again.

Maybe Maggie will post something about HER race on her triathlon blog. The only thing I want to say is that she kicked my butt. When she passed me on the run (about 2 miles remaining), I tried to keep up with her, and I did for about a half mile, but I had to walk. After that, she was long gone. I quietly wept to myself as she ran off into the distance...


4:26PM Update: I am considering having my legs amputated, but am worried about "phantom leg pain", so I am not sure if it would be worth the effort.

3 comments:

maggie said...

I'm really proud of you hon. I wouldn't be able to do a race like that without training. You did great for a guy who isn't a runner.

And you swam faster than some of the men I swim with @ the Y. Imagine if you trained? I would never be able to catch you.

Good Job!!!

Bruce Penman said...

Yeah, whatever. I hurt my neck this morning moving 150 lb boxes. I should start playing the guitar a lot more. I will need to find a nice safe hobby for my old age (next year).

Anonymous said...

I'm really late on this, but congrats bruce! I'm rolling here reading your review of the race. Too funny.