8.27.2006


First Roasts!


The one on the left was just done this morning, the other was done last night.

The left is a Columbian bean (generic, came with the roaster). The one on the right is Kenya AA Peaberry 216. They were both roasted exactly the same temp and duration.

The house burnt down during the second roast (left). I was able to save only three beans before we had to leave the house (fire marshall's orders). I'll be posting my roasting from the Barnes & Noble on Ray Road and I-10 until our house is rebuilt. On the bright side, they said they would let me grind my own beans at the Starbucks in Barnes & Noble (should help us save some dough while we wait for construction to complete).
 Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

David said...

This is NOT funny! So judging from Cate's blog, you're house did NOT burn down this morning - you were just hallucinating on bitter coffee!

Andrea said...

But how do they actually taste???

Bruce Penman said...

VERY good question, Andrea!

It's really hard to say if I have made good batches yet. The tastes are so different that I am having difficulty judging. Maggie is having no such difficulty, however. She doesn't like it. I honestly believe that she may just need to get used to the different flavors. You can really taste the coffee, you know? It is full of flavors that I have never tasted before! I should send you some samples if you are a coffee drinker. I have done several different roasts now. The craziest one is the Columbian that I did to a full French Roast. The beans are sooo dark, and sooo oily! It looks great! But the truth is, that is just what people like Starbucks do to coffees that aren't that good to disguise the flavor. I am trying to do lighter roasts, which change the whole flavor of the bean.

As I learn more, I know my roasting will get better. I just started reading "Home Coffee Roasting" by Kenneth Davids. Once I finish it, I will ready to open a coffee shop with on-site roasting! Ahwatukee needs one!

Bruce Penman said...

Hey David/Donna:

Do you want me to send you some coffee? Come on... live a little! Maybe you'll like it! I gotta go read my new book.

Jen said...

Send ME some coffee!! I am an avid coffee drinker, ask anyone!! Hey, remenber that money you lent me to get my golf membership in at the early bird cut-off this past April (and I paid you back promptly), the cut-off was for a drawing for a free membership and I won it! So now next year I won't have to borrow it again!!

Bruce Penman said...

I will!!! You might not like it though. I am still trying to nail it down. I am getting better, and I just ordered a TON of new green coffee today. We'll see how it goes.

Congrats on the free golf membership. Shouldn't that be MY membership since I never saw the money that you supposedly paid back?

Jen said...

I believe that money is still in the account that you can access anytime you want! I TOLD you it was there in May.

Send me the bad coffee too, I can mix it in with the good coffee beans I am already buying. That way it can all taste like crap.

Bruce Penman said...

I can't take the money. I think Mom needs it for her eyes or something. I will burn in hell if I take the money from the account.

How do you like your coffee? Dark? Bitter? Full? Light? Sweet? Give me some feedback.

Jen said...

I like a full roasted. Italians are good, I am not a big fan of french roast. I am also partial to an Indonesioan blend

Bruce Penman said...

Hmmm... I just threw out a columbian roast that was what I would say was a "French Roast", if not a "Spanish Roast" (that is coffee roasting code for "burnt beyond all taste"). I wanted to take a roast as far as I could before it would catch on fire, and I didn't like the result at all.

I like to do what would be called a "City Roast" or thereabouts.

I think you'll like what I roasted for you: Costa Rica Reserva San Bosco
Maggie likes it, and she definitely likes acidy full coffee.

I put it in a vacuum pack as soon as it cooled off. I hope that works. If the bag gets to you and it doesn't seem to be "vacuum packed", it didn't open... The beans gas for a while after roasting. So the bag might be bloated, so-to-speak.

I have ordered a few other beans that might be more to your liking. I'll have them next week.

See ya! You can be part of my taste-test team!!! You get free coffee for doing it.

Jen said...

YEAH!!!

I still use the grinder Rachel gave me as a Christmas present about 5 years or more ago. It is still going strong.

Can't wait to taste it. I'll give you my HONEST opinion!